H12MF - steel brand, which is a alloy of several elements. The presence of chromium, carbon and vanadium makes metal solid, durable. Since the steel of this brand is not resistant to corrosion, it will be necessary to regularly carry out the metal care - immediately after using washing, dried and process with vaseline oil.
H12MF has overseas analogs - American steel D2 and Japanese SDC11, they are completely identical in composition and possess the same high-quality characteristics. Availability, low cost of H12MF made it popular in the production of hunting, tactical and tourist knives. They are sold at a price of 3 to 15-16 thousand rubles and this is the cost of products from well-known brands.
H12MF Steel: Characteristics
H12MF - Steel, which was developed, created and introduced into production in the 30s of the last century. Initially, the metal was positioned as a tool alloy that is optimally suitable for cold deformation. High-quality characteristics have become high, which leave it popular and in modern production.
Brand and substitutes
H12MF. Substitutes - H6VF, H12BM, H12F1
Class in official graduation
Steel instrumental stamp
Types of release
Calibrated, polished rod, silver, stripes, forgings and forged blanks
HB 10-1 (255MPA)
At the beginning of the process of 1140 degrees, at the end - 850
Type of cooling
In wells or special thermostats
Very low, there is a tendency to vacation fragility
Initially, the steel brand X12MF was intended for the manufacture of "knife blades", under this term, the cutters and stamps for printing, technological cutting tools for woodworking, saws, and so on were implied. But already in the 50s of the last century, artisans began to use metal and for the manufacture of household knives, kitchen destinations.
We recommend reading an article about the types of knives
. Of it you will learn about the main forms of knives, their names and characteristics, blade materials for metal type, as well as the rules and criteria for choosing a knife.
And here more about the types of combat knives.
Properties, chemical composition
High quality, steel properties provide its complex chemical composition:
- chromium up to 12.5% - this substance has a direct impact on the ability of metal to hardening, increases the anti-corrosion properties of steel and the level of wear resistance of the finished product;
- Vanadium 1.1% - has the highest possible strength, reinforces the properties of chromium, provides inertia in relation to aggressive media;
- 1.6% carbon - gives metal special strength, reduces the level of fragility;
- Molybdenum up to 1% refers to solidlavl elements, increases metal resistance to mechanical effects, makes high temperatures resistant;
- Silicon and manganese up to 0.6% - make steel stable, reliable, increase the hardness of the metal as much as possible.
The composition also contains sulfur and phosphorus are harmful technological impurities that are able to increase the brittleness of the metal and reduce the general physico-chemical properties of steel. But in such a negative quality of sulfur and phosphorus "work" if a large amount of carbon is present in the metal. In the H12MF brand, the proportions of the last element are low, harm on the presence in the chemical composition of sulfur and phosphorus is minimal, almost indefinable.
Nuances of production
The production of steel H12MF in industrial volumes is carried out on a well-spent technological algorithm, Must with some features:
- The melt is poured into a ready-made form at the request of the customer. Be sure to take into account the allowance for the subsequent technological processing of the workpiece.
- The annealing stage is obligatory, because when the metal is cooled, the material is dedicated. And this leads to an uneven loss of carbides, which violates the homogeneity of the steel structure.
- At the forging stage, the qualitative characteristics of the metal continue to increase - the inhomogeneity of the structure completely disappears, "grain" is crushed, all empties are filled in the crystal lattice.
Look at the video about the x12mf test for fragility:
Experts are especially highly appreciated by steel grade X12MF, obtained by smelting by the method of electroslag or vacuum-arc overpack (ECP and VDP, respectively).
Steel H12MF: Application
The use of steel H12MF in industrial production is wide enough:
- body stamps;
- rolling dies;
- Stamps molding and bending;
- The boards are drawing and actually wolves;
- Complex shape rollers are profiled, calibration.
The same brand has become popular with the manufacturers of knives of tactical, tourist, hunting knives.
Steel H12MF for knives: pros and cons
The advantages of steel H12MF include:
- Production is cheap - the composition includes affordable components at low cost, often the metal is made of secondary raw materials. As a result, the low cost of knives with a blade of steel brand X12MF.
- The working characteristics of the knife are completely predictable. If you follow all the rules for caring for the metal and its use, even the constant effect on its wide range of temperatures will not reduce its properties.
- The sharpness of the sharpening knives is ideal. The optimal angles of sharpening with high metal hardness (HRC 63-64 units) provide the edge high wear resistance. The blade sharpness is preserved for a long time even with the active use of the tool.
- Caring for the cutting tool of steel H12MF is minimal. The fact is that the metal practically does not rust, therefore it is constantly polished, to cover with any specific coating or constantly impregnate anti-corrosion liquids.
If we talk about minuses, you should pay attention to the following:
- Any technological operations with steel related to heat treatment, it is almost impossible to produce at home. During forging there is cracking of the metal blank, and if heating to the desired forging temperature did not happen, the steel simply crushes.
- To accumulate the cutting edge of the blade, you will need special equipment.
- Bending loads can only be minimal. Therefore, from the above-mentioned steel steel, knives are made with a limited clinic length.
- With frequent contact metal with salts and acids, the so-called pitting corrosion begins to appear.
- Blade of steel H12MF will never glisten - polit it will not work. The knife will always look dim.
- In the field, even the edit of the knife can become a problem, because the metal is very solid and for this will need a special tool for Musat type with diamond spraying.
X12mf or 95x18 - what is better
The most important advantage of the steel grade 95x18 in comparison with H12MF is a full resistance to corrosion, which is much better for continuous use. The knife can even withstand constant contacts with water and juices of vegetables, meat, so it will be optimal for working in the kitchen.
Comparison of two brands of steel H12MF and 95x18, the definition of the best is not entirely correct, because the working properties of the metals are too different.
For example, steel 95x18 has the following qualitative characteristics:
- stainless steel;
- perfectly holds sharpening;
- Overlaying at 57-59 HRC units.
Look at the video about quenching 95x18 and H12MF:
Whether Damascus is better
But on the question, whether Damascus is better compared to steel H12MF, experts give a definitely a negative answer. The fact is that the damask steel practically does not have resistance to corrosion processes, it rusts even with a slight, inadequate contact with water. This makes it necessary to comply with the rules for the care of knives from such a material - be sure to dry, regularly process with special fluids, polished.
Where to get steel x12mf in everyday life
Steel H12MF is sold on metal bonds in the form of rods of different caliber and strips. In everyday life, it can be taken from various machines - woodworking, for metalworking. Gears, cutting parts for them are manufactured just from steel H12MF.
The same metal brand is applied in the manufacture of:
- souvenir, hunting knives - you can use old, with a broken handle tool;
- rollers for production machines;
- Body stamps - you can search on old forge, fur. courtyards.
The most famous foreign analogue of steel H12MF is a brand D2. The metal is produced by Americans, they are identical to the chemical composition, in the Russian version, the chromium content is even slightly higher. Some sources claim that D2 is at times exceeding the H12MF for quality characteristics and sharpness of the cutting edge, but experts claim that it is a purely subjective opinion on the type "Like / Don't Like".
Another foreign analogues include SCD11 Japanese steel steel. It is used for the manufacture of knives that have to work in conditions of increased wear.
Japanese analog H12MF differs:
- high level of shock viscosity;
- excellent cut;
- high content in carbon;
- preserving sharp sharpness even after extreme cuts with the use of power cut.
From Russian brands have become analogues of the X6VF, H12BM, H12F1. But they rather belong to substitutes with lower characteristics of metal hardness and sharp sharpness. But the steel of these brands is resistant to corrosion, which is why knife manufacturers more often prefer them.
How to care for steel x12mf
Care for Steel H12MF is simple: it must be kept in a dry room, try not to use in aggressive environments, not subject to physical influences (steel "is afraid of" strikes, falls).
If the steel is in contact with the acids, then immediately after that it is necessary to wash the metal, dry and grasp the polyrolla, you can try to polish. Otherwise, black spots will appear on the metal surface of the metal, which can be subsequently eliminated only by grinding, for which a professional tool will be required.
Look at the video on how to care for carbon steel:
X12mf rust or not
Fully knives of steel H12MF are never covered with rust, but they can lose their qualitative characteristics with improper metal care.
Rust or not steel H12MF, they will not be able to accurately answer even professionals. And the reason for this is that products from this alloy are subjected to pitting corrosion - rust appears after contact with acids or with long-term deposit in water, it is black spots and "divorces".
Kh12MF steel knives
Kitchen knives made of steel H12MF are rarely manufactured, more often on sale you can find a hunting tool. The brand under consideration is often used for the manufacture of Yakut knives.
This is a small knife with the following characteristics:
- The blade is wide;
- handle 115 mm;
- blade 110x36x4 mm;
- Handle material - Walnut;
- The descent form on the blade is straight;
- Sharpening type - one-sided.
There are duralumin elements on handles that serve as a decor and adaptation to make shocks. The tool has a small weight, it comfortably falls into the hand. Especially often the knife "Bahhycha" is used to sow an animal and for cutting meat, fish.
Such a knife is considered universal, because it can be used to perform different economic operations - cut, make holes in non-solid material, ferry meat / fish.
Quality characteristics of the product:
- Handle length - 110 mm;
- The parameters of the blade - 110x22x4 mm;
- The handle is made of Karelian birch (stabilized);
- The Bruce is made of Melchior;
- Descent on the blade - straight;
- Sharpening one-sided.
The name "cerhing" knife received by type of wearing - sheath and loop made of genuine leather allow you to carry it on the neck.
This Yakut knife has a narrow blade of 179 mm long, it also has a second name - "tundra". The blade is made of steel H12MF, handle from Karelian birch. Sharpening standard one-sided, descent on the blades are straight. The cutting tool is used in the hunt, it is perfect for the cutting of meat, cutting fish.
Knife "Hotonoch" is sold along with genuine leather, before selling the test protocol passes and has a quality certificate. The manufacturer provides a guarantee on its product for 12 months of proper operation.
This is a Yakut tundra knife with a narrow blade, refers to the category of universal cutting tools. Product Features:
- Steel hardness - 62 HRC;
- Metal - adhesive, alloy of the brand X12MF;
- Handle length - 135 mm;
- parameters of the blade -150x25x4 mm;
- material handle - berst and wenge;
- Printing is made of duralia;
- sharpening cutting edge one-sided;
- The descent on the blade is straight.
Such a long blade is convenient to cut the carcasses of animals and fish, they can also cut no solid materials and even to do holes.
How to care for the knife of steel x12f
Care of the knife from steel H12MF is as follows:
- After use, the product is washed with water;
- After each "water procedure", the blade must be dried (you can wipe the paper napkin);
- The blade is necessary after each use to lubricate with vaseline oil;
- 1 time in 120 days the blade polished the paste of the goy and rule on the leather belt;
- Wooden handle must periodically processed by antiseptic against mold, bacteria;
- If traces of corrosion appeared on the blades, they need to immediately wipe with a ballistal.
To the service life of the knives of steel H12MF, it is necessary to comply with the following rules:
- Do not throw, do not throw a knife and not to use as a lever;
- prevent blade to enter an acidic or alkaline environment;
- To withstand the sharpening angle of 35 degrees when the tool is edited.
Look at the video on how to get rid of rust on steel H12MF:
Cost of material
The value of the material is available, because its production is cheap and is often carried out from the secondary raw materials. Therefore, knives from alloy H12MF, even from the most famous brands, have a completely adequate price - from 3 thousand rubles to 15-16 thousand.
We recommend reading an article about the German bayonet knives
. From it, you will learn about the famous products of the bayonet-knives of the German times of the Second World War, the characteristic of the bayonet knife Mauser 98k, as well as how much is the German bayonet knife and where it can be bought.
And here more on how to choose the best vykidny knife.
Steel H12MF and knives can last last, but only under the condition of proper care and operation. Kitchen cutting tools from such an alloy to find on sale is difficult, but the craftsmen are actively offering in the market of hunting, tactical and tourist instances.
Today there are two titanium foreheads and let's see who will kill.
Steel, known to the world since terrain times. It is famous not only by a sonorous name that has nothing to do with Syria. And not only with blades covered with unique and unique patterns. Damascus steel is primarily one of the most balanced and glittering steel in almost all respects. Nearly.
Heterogeneous steel, multi-layered. Not so that both by Japanese legends two million layers on Katana, but still. Take steel with a high content of carbon and low and forcibly marry them through the forging. As a result, the soft layers do not give blade to be crystal shoes, and solid allow to obtain aggressive cuts and phenomenally long retention of sharpening. And everything would be nothing, and it seems, here it is, perfect steel. Which can and nails cut down and turn it into the bagel. AN no, the main minus, even minus it is to resist corrosion. And him, actually, and not almost. And let the blacksmiths and manufacturers scream, they say anything terrible, a cloth wipe and everything, no special care for the knives is needed. I want to send them ... Hiking, well, somewhere, in Sochi, for example, where the humidity is such that you can swim through the air. There, the wet becomes every molecule and body and gear. Day or two waging in the mountains and delivering the knife, 100% you will see a redhead on it. Well, there is, of course, the option, every half an hour to get a cloth and wipe the blade, but this is only if you travel one. Otherwise, there is a serious risk to quickly enjoy an idiot.
And yet, this is exactly the alternations of soft and solid layers, a micropower is formed on the cutting edge, which cuts no worse than the laser. And it stands dear, friends. When, even under a simple weight, the knife is sprawling as warm oil.
For some reason, strange information walks over the network, that this steel loves the northern hunters. But they are never talking about it, otherwise the deer is flooded. All the northern knives, first of all, should have exactly soft, so that nothing happens by anything. And then you kiss something, knife is knitted, and to the nearest housing kilometers two hundred and tundra. But in general, the steel is, of course, if it is proper heat treatment. Most often, knives are made from steel rods. And with the help of forging, the heterogeneity of steel is cleaned, then harde it. Well, and then remove the tension from the metal. The blades may well reach 64 HRC on Rockwell. But the chrome makes steel by half-line, and this knife can already be completely wet conditions. Plus there before a heap of silicon, manganese, molybdenum, vanadium and carbon at 1.6%.
And the one and other steel damn solid, but very fragile. Damascus will be better cut, but terribly rust. H12MF is more balanced in this regard. If you choose yourself knives of these steels, we really advise you to take knives with a thick mist and the same tip. Then the fragility can be forgotten, and you will have a perfect tool to murder trees, cutting animals, cutting mushrooms or fish. For work at home Damascus will be better. For hiking and nature - uniquely H12MF.
Damascus knives: https://www.nozhikov.ru/collection/nozhi-iz-damasskoy-stali-2.
Knives of steel H12MF: https://www.nozhikov.ru/collection/nozhi-iz-stali-h12mf.
What knife to choose for hunting or kitchen? This question is asking everyone who decided to acquire a reliable assistant. Let I be born at sunset of the Soviet Union, but the shop near the plant with the floor with empty shop windows, and coupons issued for the purchase of products forever put in my memory. But only the knives in our city - the pile has always been abuse, remember a cheap folding knife with a plastic handle and with a "cock" in the form of an emblem.
All these knives have manufactured the October Plant, on whose squares and our production is located.
So before there were fewer problems in choosing a knife. This is due to a weak proposal on the market: there was no such diversity in steels, materials of the handle and manufacturers.
This article I give the beginning not a big help for choosing a knife, the certificate will be broken into four parts:
- The choice of blade steel.
- Choice of knife handle.
- Choose selection.
- The shape of the knife and its purpose.
The first part, as it should be, is assigned to the most important in the knife - steel. The knife is designed to cut them. This is an axiom. Choosing a suitable steel, you will always be satisfied with your knife.
Choice of steel for knife
I will try to give you only those necessary knowledge for which you need to rely on when choosing steel for a knife. I will empty the chemical compositions of steels, some specifications. You do not need to know them, they must be known to manufacturers. In any case, you will calmly find this information on the Internet.
Each blade must have defined user characteristics, here we need to pay attention to them. Each steel I gave an estimate of the 10 point scale in the context of these characteristics (hardness, strength, etc.). Outcome: the higher the assessment of those in my opinion better steel.
So, by defining each steel, your estimate for my scale is the following:
1st place - Knives of steel S390. In principle, it is predictable, since S390 is a powder metal, and the powder metallurgy stepped far away. Three most important consumer indicators this metal out competition. The only minus of this steel has become a high price, it is due to the complexity of manufacturing and euro course, since the metal is imported.
2 - 3 place We divided knives from beaded steel and steel M390. It is very interesting here, for gourmets and connoisseurs, I would recommend Bulat Steel, but for newcomers and people practical steel M390. This is due to the fact that the Bulat slightly longer and better cuts, and M390 does not require care. In any case, the difference in these metals you will not see "single los". As my familiar "season from hunting" can understand.
For further location, see the table, I would like to add from myself:
Elmax is a cool metal when he just appeared (about a couple of years ago) I as always took it on tests, hunting, fishing, building at home .... I will say honestly, that knife to this day I have.
Knives of steel H12MF and Damaska steel - about these knives do not need to say anything if I took into account such an indicator in my rating as the price. These metals would be 1 and 2 place, respectively.
Knives of steel 65x13 and 95x18 are those two steel used in the manufacture of knives in Soviet times. One roll is another forged, both stainless. So these knives serve today, but they are those with a "cock." Diffinctly feature of these metals is the possibility of sharpening in the field.
This article is my personal opinion, I do not impose him to anyone and I do not pretend to 100% truth. This is just the experience of my 10 years of work on knife production. Best regards, Dmitry.